We’ve been hearing about the Internet of Things for years. But do we really know what it is and what benefits it brings to society? Do we know your applications? Do you already use connected technology in your home or work?
The subject well deserves to dedicate this space to it. We will deepen the concept of Internet of Things (IoT), its application in the automotive sector and, above all, the benefits it brings to electric vehicle chargers.
What is the Internet of Things (IoT)?
The IoT concept encompasses the set of connected devices and the technology that makes that connection between them and the cloud possible (global network of connected servers to function as a single ecosystem designed to store and manage data, run applications, deliver content, etc.) and between the devices themselves.
It is called “things” because it integrates everyday devices with the internet, collecting data from the usage environment, and sharing it from its IoT application. This transmission of data, from or to the internet, in turn generates an intelligent response or action towards users.
How does the Internet of Things (IoT) work?
An IoT system is composed of:
- An intelligent device, equipped with computational capacity and communications, which collects the data.
- An IoT platform, which integrates the data obtained, analyses and issues orders accordingly to the smart device.
- A user interface, for example, a mobile application or a website, from which to register and control smart devices.
IoT applied to automotive
First, we must distinguish between smart or connected vehicle and autonomous vehicle. For some years now, the first is a reality and we can enjoy the advantages of IoT in smart vehicles; autonomous vehicles are the ones that perform driverless driving. On the first, connected vehicles, we can group as follows their characteristics and therefore advantages:
- They have automatic communication systems. They allow the vehicle, through its sensors, to identify if you have suffered an accident and launch an alert to the emergency services. They are also able, if your fossil fuel level is low or the level of your battery requires recharge, identify the nearest gas station, show you the way and price of the energy you are going to consume. Within this technology is included communication through the mobile phone, which allows, remotely, activate the air conditioning, locate it if you do not remember where you parked, touch the horn, turn on lights, etc.
- Smart parking. Through their sensors, they detect free gaps and can autonomously perform parking manoeuvres. They also offer you information about free parking spaces in public car parks or regulated parking areas, maximum parking time, etc.
- Prediction of breakdowns. In this type of cars it is not necessary to approach a workshop to make a diagnosis of breakdowns. These cars are able, remotely, to share data and even solve some problems remotely.
- Traffic monitoring. They collect data in real time, detecting retentions, accidents or slow traffic, with this information they notify you in advance to avoid traffic jams and offer you route alternatives.
- Smart driving. In this group of characteristics we include the detection of drowsiness, the alerts of involuntary change of lane, change of lighting according to the conditions of the track, etc.
IoT in electric vehicle charging infrastructure
In addition to the aforementioned advantages, the electrification of mobility in connected vehicles has also brought with it the need to carry out a technical deployment of recharging infrastructures, both public and private, that allow the charging of V.E. in an efficient and safe way.
This efficiency and security is only possible by incorporating IoT technologies into the charging infrastructure, thus turning the charging points of V.E. into intelligent chargers that ensure the efficient management of the energy supplied.
Benefits of connected smart chargers: savings, comfort and safety.
The search for energy efficiency, raison d’être of ORBIS, is what allows us to enjoy today connected smart chargers that offer us a long list of benefits, which we can summarise in savings, comfort of use and management and safety.
Let’s see below, in detail, the features that make us enjoy the benefits of savings, comfort and safety in the latest models of connected electric charger in public use environments:
Connected smart chargers, the future of sustainable urban planning.
A public V.E. recharging point, located outdoors or in covered space, should always be available for use in good condition.
One of the main attributes should be the robustness and versatility of the device, since it will be used by many different users, with different types of vehicles, with limited time to recharge and in a wide variety of utility environments: service areas, public buildings, municipal management, hotels, hospitals, marinas, campsites, commercial premises, offices, educational centers, sports facilities, industry and transport fleets. Therefore, it is very important to know the 5 key features that make a public V.E. charger the smart and efficient device.
Our feature recommendation:
- A high degree of mechanical protection to ensure its durability.
- Several standard connection outputs, to optimise the space for recharging
- An intelligent power modulation system that allows to scale the installation in a sustainable way and the best use of the available energy from any source (grid or solar) without causing unwanted interruptions of electricity due to excess consumption.
- Ensure the required electricity consumption at the lowest possible cost.
- Have tools for control and management of use.
This last point is especially important, since we are facing a recharging system that responds to two types of user profiles:
- The facility manager, responsible for the service and therefore for the satisfaction of the final customer and the profitability of the recharging business.
- The end user, who requires a wide network of charging points adapted to their needs of simplicity of use, loading speed and cost.
VIARIS CITY+ is the most advanced electric vehicle smart charger for installation in public environments.
VIARIS CITY+ is the novel, efficient and safe recharging system specially designed for outdoor use as it is built in high thickness aluminum sheet with high heat and moisture resistance paint.
It is a device connected to a secure digital environment, like the entire family of ORBIS VIARIS smart chargers, which allows telematic access to it for the monitoring of its correct operation, and in the event of incidents, proceed to the resolution of them remotely.
This digital connectivity also allows you to make the software updates that will keep the charger permanently updated, always being able to have a charger at the forefront of technology.
The e-VIARIS mobile app and web management platform complete this unique intelligent charging system.
These are the main features of VIARIS CITY+ that make it the future of sustainable urban planning:
- It has 2 connectors of 22 kW each equipped with Type 2 connector (European standard with single-phase or three-phase connection for a higher loading speed) with protection of the active parts by means of shutter.
- It offers high visibility LED signage for easy location of the recharging point, as well as availability indicator for each of the two connection outlets it offers.
- Includes standard DC leak detector for the protection of people against electrical risk.
- It has an electrical insulation safety system according to IEC 61851-1.
- On request you can include MID-certified energy meter for each output.
- It includes the exclusive VIARIS SPL charging modulation system for the installation of up to 256 VIARIS CITY+ thus substantially reducing the power to contract.
- Advanced load management functions with power limitation per group, charger, socket and phase.
- It incorporates the exclusive functionality (OEPM Utility Model No. 202230298) of recharging in single-phase mode for three-phase vehicles depending on the instantaneous consumption of the other electrical appliances in the building.
- Integration in management platforms (OCPP 1.6 json communication protocol with Smart charging using Modbus TCP and RTU. MQTTS)
- Backend/OCPP connection via LAN, WLAN or LTE.
- Communication with the manager via WiFi, ethernet or 4G.
- OTA updateable firmware.
- Input for external activation/deactivation by home control system, manual or prepaid system.
- Integrated in VIARIS SOLAR for installations with photovoltaic generation.
- Integrated RFID card reader for user management.
- Collection of information on recharging for statistical purposes or preventive maintenance of fleets.
- Luminous indicators: station occupied or reserved, vehicle connected, charging, recharging status, finished charge and error.
- Degree of protection IP54 against ingress of dust and water and IK10 against mechanical impacts.
The electric vehicle charger for public environments VIARIS CITY+ is designed under the motto “the cleanest energy is the one that is not consumed”, that is why our customers always have all the energy they need, but only when they require it. Learn all the details of VIARIS CITY+ and the rest of our electric vehicle chargers here.